Sr. Systems Engineer - Backup & Recovery
Preference for candidates in MD/VA area
Will consider 100% remote - must travel to site 4 times per year
SMART IT People has a full-time opportunity with our client, a world class disaster recovery and business continuity solutions provider. Preference for candidates that live within a 1 hour drive to Germantown, MD. Will consider 100% remote but must travel to site 4 times per year.
• 5+ years of Industry based experience with data protection technologies and/or Disaster Recovery software:
o Veeam Backup & Recovery, Commvault, Carbonite, Zerto, Avamar, etc.
• 5+ years of Industry based experience in storage, network and/or cloud-based technologies
• Good understanding of virtualization technologies: VMware ESX(i), Microsoft Hyper-V
• Deep understanding of the relationship between RTO and RPO and how to overlay our Technology & Services to accommodate our customer’s requirements
• Familiarity with access control models and network security
• Basic understanding of IPv4 & IPv6, routing, switching, gateway, subnets
• Familiar with Protocols such as NFS, CIFS as well Fibre Channel & iSCSI
• Experience working with monitoring tools and SaaS applications
• Experience in data life-cycle management with IT audit requirements
• Require excellent oral and written communication skills to convey plans, exercises, and activities.
• Ability to prioritize and organize effectively, including working on multiple projects simultaneously.
• Competent in leading discussions advising Sales on services, solutions & design
• Ability to operate in a fast pace, team-oriented and collaborative environment with tight deadlines.
• Certifications within the Backup and/or Recovery technologies (eg: VMCE, VMCA, ZCP, VCP, etc)
• Advanced use of engineering level tasks with Linux operating systems (eg: RedHat, CentOS, Ubuntu, and SUSE)
• Automation and scripting experience a Plus (eg Ansible, Powershell, Python)
• 3+ years’ experience working in a Managed Services Provider a plus
• Responsible for participating in projects and daily activities that will create and develop new Disaster Recovery and Backup infrastructure architecture, critical organizational initiatives, and the implementation of core infrastructure systems.
• Must possess a comprehensive understanding of IT infrastructure combined with the ability to execute technical solutions that meet the needs of our customers as well as our organization.
• Act as an escalation point within the Engineering team and provide Subject Matter Expertise on one or many core BaaS and/or DRaaS technologies supporting our Service offerings.
• Focused on superior customer service with high energy, professionalism, and welcoming characteristics.
• Provides clear and accurate customer communication(s) in a timely fashion regarding the status of their issue or concern.
• Responsible for development & execution of processes and control systems to ensure the consistent delivery of highly secure & available backup & recovery platforms.
• Completes assigned installs and implementation projects in a timely fashion.
• Develops Infrastructure documentation to accurately reflect the as-built information of the solution design and includes details of our Backup & Recovery environments.
• Provides clear & accurate communications to the participating Sales or project manager regarding assigned tasks to meet implementation deadlines and objectives.
• Develop, validate, and maintain our Infrastructure documentation.
• Participate in team on-call rotation including all-hands on deck situations
• Active participation in customer pre-test planning meetings.
• Close coordination with other internal teams (Network, Mainframe, Power Systems, Hosting, Test Management, etc.) in preparation of events.
• Setup and teardown of infrastructures for customer Disaster Recovery exercises.
• Provide technical support during customer exercises.
• Ability to work pre-scheduled alternate shifts to accommodate customer testing.
• Guide customers with technical best practices, product how-to, product updates, and/or educating customers to maximize their product value.
• Strong ability to work in a highly sensitive and confidential environment including Federal agencies.
• Implement and manage Customer POCs to technical closure
• Work closely with the Sales & Product departments to secure new partners and customers
To apply, please send your resume in MS Word format to: email@example.com with job title in subject line.